Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Greedy banker a hoax? Maybe, but it does happen everyday

I recently posted a blog about a banker that left a 1% tip on a large lunch bill and told the server to "get a real job". I wanted to say that although this story has been labeled a hoax and has since been denied, that this happens everyday. I have been bartending for over 15 years and I can tell you that some people think they are better than the person serving them. I am not saying that you should tip someone 18% to 20% who gives you lousy service. I understand that some server's and bartender's are really bad at their job. I work in a very affluent area and most of my customers are in the 1%. I have met some of the best people in my life who are very wealthy. I can tell you without a doubt, that a small percentage of people out there are bitter towards anyone that serves them. Some people are just not happy no matter how well you serve them. I was once told by a wealthy client that I do not want the problems he has. This gentleman owned multiple companies and was so afraid that he would lose all his belongings. He explained to me that once he became successful, he had to make more and more money to live the lifestyle that he had become accustomed too. Now that he had so much money and houses he was worried about other's stealing from him. I understand his fears and I really felt sorry for him. He had worked his whole life to build this empire and could not relax and enjoy it. After hearing all his woes I wanted to tell him my fears. He was a regular of mine for 10 years so I felt like I could be honest and really tell him what fear was.
     I worked with server's who were single mothers. I watched a 23 year old girl with a 2 year old child try to work as a server and go to school. She had her mother to help watch her baby, but she went to school all day and worked all night. She was trying to give her child a better life. This girl came to work with the best attitude and was an excellent server. I saw a table of 4 women come in and treat her like crap for their own amusement. This girl would never say a bad word about anyone and these women complained about everything in an effort to get free food and drinks. The restaurant I worked in at the time was well known for excellent food. Yet, these women would eat most of their meals then complain to the manager. They complained about the service which is a joke. There bill after all the free comps was over 300 dollars. The woman who paid the tab put a big fat 0 with a line through it on the tip line. These women were in the 1% and didn't care that the person they just screwed over was a single mother who didn't know how she would pay for electric to keep her baby warm. These wealthy women had forgotten what it was like to worry about how they would get food, diapers, healthcare, and everything that every person wants to give their child. These 1% people had forgotten that this girl would have to pay the bar, the server assistant, and the food runner a percentage of her sales. For this girl to wait on this table cost her 22 dollars out of her pocket. I explained to my wealthy friend that not knowing if you can pay your bills is real fear. Not knowing if you can pay rent is real fear. If you have so much money that your only fear is holding onto it, you have no idea what fear is.
    So what is the point of this blog? I guess it's up to the reader. I have worked my tail off just like most of you out there. I chose to be a bartender so I could work to opening my own business during the day. My point to all the 1% is that you have no idea who is serving you. I know that you have your own worries and I understand. Next time you are out at a restaurant or bar, remember that the person serving you is not your servant. We work in customer service just like any other service you receive. Those of us that are good will go above and beyond to make your experience enjoyable. When we give you great service you should tip accordingly. Most people get a check every 2 weeks with the same amount on it. We work for our check every minute of every day.          Get the watches the 1% like without paying too much

No comments: